I can’t remember the first plane I was on.. Apparently I was only a few months old. But since then I have been flying all of my life back and for from California to Hawaii to visit family every few months. There are tons of lists teaching you how to pack your luggage or what to not bring onto a place (*cough* guns, bombs, knives *cough*) and so forth but here are my top 10 list of tips on how I survive long airplane flights.
- Get comfy, If you can wear clothes and are non constricting. Skinny jeans and a lace up corset type might be comfy to some but your body tends to bloat and retain fluids to allow for some wiggle room. Bonus points if you have a pair of classy looking pajamas.
- SHOWER. Not only for yourself but for your fellow passengers. No one wants to sit next to someone who hasn’t showered since yesterday. Maybe even wear some deodorant. Avoid strong perfumes cause there is nothing worse than sitting next to a cloud of AXE body spray.
- Pack your own headphones. Having your own pain guarantees that you will have some sort of entertainment available to you no matter where you are in the air. Many airlines have you purchase the pair, so save yourself the trouble and bring your own noise canceling buds.
- Stretch. Before you get on the plane, some time during the flight, and probably after. Sitting in one place is not good in any situation and cramped in a tiny airplane seat is even worse. Get up if it’s more than two hours and move around or if you are capable stretch in your seat.
- Drink water. The thought of having to shut yourself into one of those airline bathrooms is less than glamorous but drink water, the air is even more drying inside the cabin and you will get dehydrated easily. PRO TIP: If you have your own water bottle bring it EMPTY and fill it once you get inside. TSA Lets you bring an empty water bottle through security.
- Bring your own spa. If you are into those paper face masks bring one along! When else are you gonna have a few hours of me time! Completely cut off from the phone and with a valid excuse that you were unavailable!
- CHARGE EVERYTHING! As in all of your battery operated items.. cell phone, ipad, kindle, mp3, lap top, ETC Whatever it is! Charge it before you get on the plane. Some of the newer planes offer USB outlets that you can plug into and a few lucky ones have real power outlets but most do not. A dead battery means you have to rely on the in-flight entertainment which might not be so great.
- Bring a pillow. These make life sooo much better than using one of those flimsy cottonballs they give you on the plane. Lumbar support? CHECK, Nap time? Sure why not! Pillows are 100% worth every bit of extra effort to bring on the plane.
- SLEEP. Okay.. I know this one is kinda like the previous one but seriously! Take a nap.. rest. Sleep! You’re going somewhere far away and it’s probably gonna take every bit of energy to make it though the day so a nap is definitely in order.
- Have fun! You’re on an adventure! Try not to get caught up they they ran out of your preferred in-flight chicken.. meal. Be kind to the flight attendants and look forward to all of the great things that you are headed towards!
Do you have any tips on how to survive a long flight? Post them in the comment section below I’d love to hear them!